Meetings are held from 2 – 4 pm on the fourth Sunday of each month.
Please let us know if you would like to attend and we will forward the location information to you. Our email address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
AGENDA – Sunday, November 24th, 2013
INTRODUCTIONS & SUPPORT FOR NEW MEMBERS
Welcome message to new members. The first hour or so of our meetings is for members to introduce themselves, and for new members to share their concerns and ask questions. After a short break, we continue with updates, new discussion items, and informal discussion (information sharing, support, questions, ideas for upcoming meetings etc).
Lyme Support Library
Our group purchases and loans out books and DVDs on Lyme and co-infections. Cost to join our library is $10. Items can be borrowed for one month. Please be courteous and return borrowed books on time. Donations are always appreciated. Please let us know if there are any books/DVDs that you would like us to order. Currently, we have the following:
1. Cure Unknown: Inside the Lyme Epidemic (Revised Edition, 2013), by Pamela Weintraub
2. Healing Lyme Disease Coinfections – Bartonella & Mycoplasma, by Stephen Buhner
3. Checklists for Bartonella, Babesia & Lyme Disease, by Dr. James Schaller
4. Beyond Lyme Disease, by Connie Strasheim
5. Ending Denial: The Lyme Epidemic, by Helke Ferrie
6. Healing Lyme, by Stephen Buhner
7. It’s All in Your Head – Around the World in 80 Lyme Patient Stories, by PJ Langhoff
8. Living a Healthy Life with Chronic Conditions (multiple authors)
9. The Top 10 Lyme Disease Treatments, by Bryan Rosner
10.Treatment of Chronic Lyme Disease, by Burton A. Waisbren
11.Under Our Skin (DVD)
12.Treating Lyme Disease Using Integrative Medicine (5 DVDs)
13. ILADS Review of Anti-Infective Therapy (pamphlet)
14. NEW!! Why Can’t I Get Better? Solving the Mystery of Lyme and Chronic Disease by Dr. Horowitz
15. NEW!! Ticked Off: The Mystery of Lyme Disease (DVD)
T-shirts and Buttons
We have a few extra t-shirts and buttons for sale.
Our facebook group for people with Lyme disease on Vancouver Island is a great way to keep up to date on news and connect with others. Ask to join the Victoria Lyme Group. The group is private – others can see who the members are, but only members can post and read posts, invite and approve new members.
Reminder: The deadline for applying for the first round of LymeSavers Bursaries is November 30th. See: http://www.lymesavers.ca/bursaries/application
FOR SHARING AND DISCUSSION
1. Meeting time – should we start meetings at 1 pm to give us more time, and would you like have a meeting or social in December, or not.
2. Awareness opportunity - do we want to help sponsor a public talk by Gwen Barlee and Dr Murakami in Victoria – when, where, and who would like to assist
3. Facilitator training for support groups
5. Tick Survey - Dr Ernie Murakami asks that anyone who has removed a tick from a human send them to him. He wants them whether dead or alive along with a brief note on how the tick was removed, i.e. twisted out, tweezers with constant tension or by tension/relax method. These ticks will be checked by microscopy for missing mouth parts and research. Send your ticks, from anywhere at all, to him at:
Hope BC V0X 1L0
Hope BC V0X 1L0
6. Thank you and summary of 2013
INFORMATION – Recent studies, news, articles, upcoming events and useful websites
1. Multiple Sclerosis is Lyme Disease: Anatomy of a Cover-up http://owndoc.com/lyme/multiple-sclerosis-is-lyme-disease-anatomy-of-a-cover-up/
2. Lyme Disease Meeting Helps Raise Awareness in Abbotsford http://www.abbynews.com/news/232063461.html
3. Reliving Their Pain to Shed Light on Lyme http://www.peacearchnews.com/community/231632171.html
4. The Great Imitator http://www.abbynews.com/news/230904131.html
5. Article about Children with Lyme Disease http://www.lymedisease.org/resources/children.html
6. American Red Cross to Begin Testing Blood Supply for Babesia http://www.redcross.org/news/press-release/American-Red-Cross-Participating-in-an-Investigational-Study-to-Test-the-Blood-Supply-for-a-Tick-Borne-Parasite-in-Donated-Blood
7. New York Times Article and Video http://www.nytimes.com/2013/10/30/science/earth/how-does-a-tick-do-its-dirty-work-research-video-offers-a-clue.html?_r=1&
8. Global Search for Education – The 300,000 http://www.huffingtonpost.com/c-m-rubin/the-global-search-for-edu_b_4244055.html?utm_hp_ref=email_share
9. Keep up with the latest Lyme news: