MEETING TIME AND LOCATION
NEW START TIME: We have a guest speaker from 1 pm to 1:45 pm this month. Our regular meeting will proceed at 2 pm until 4 pm.
Please let us know if you would like to attend and we will forward the location information to you. Our email address is firstname.lastname@example.org
GUEST SPEAKER - 1:00 pm TO 1:45 pm
INTRODUCTIONS & SUPPORT FOR NEW MEMBERS - 2:00 pm to 2:45 pm
Welcome message to new members. The first hour or so of our meetings is for members to introduce themselves, and for new members to share their concerns and ask questions. After a short break, we continue with updates, new discussion items, and informal discussion (information sharing, support, questions, ideas for upcoming meetings etc).
Lyme Support Library
Our group purchases and loans out books and DVDs on Lyme and co-infections. Cost to join our library is $10. Items can be borrowed for one month. Please be courteous and return borrowed books on time. Donations are always appreciated. Please let us know if there are any books/DVDs that you would like us to order. Currently, we have the following:
1. Cure Unknown: Inside the Lyme Epidemic (Revised Edition, 2013), by Pamela Weintraub
2. Healing Lyme Disease Coinfections – Bartonella & Mycoplasma, by Stephen Buhner
3. Checklists for Bartonella, Babesia & Lyme Disease, by Dr. James Schaller
4. Beyond Lyme Disease, by Connie Strasheim
5. Ending Denial: The Lyme Epidemic, by Helke Ferrie
6. Healing Lyme, by Stephen Buhner
7. It’s All in Your Head – Around the World in 80 Lyme Patient Stories, by PJ Langhoff
8. Living a Healthy Life with Chronic Conditions (multiple authors)
9. The Top 10 Lyme Disease Treatments, by Bryan Rosner
10.Treatment of Chronic Lyme Disease, by Burton A. Waisbren
11.Under Our Skin (DVD)
12.Treating Lyme Disease Using Integrative Medicine (5 DVDs)
13. ILADS Review of Anti-Infective Therapy (pamphlet)
14. NEW!! Why Can’t I Get Better? Solving the Mystery of Lyme and Chronic Disease by Dr. Horowitz
15. NEW!! Ticked Off: The Mystery of Lyme Disease (DVD)
T-shirts and Buttons
We have a few extra t-shirts for sale and more of Sparky's buttons for sale.
Our facebook group for people with Lyme disease on Vancouver Island is a great way to keep up to date on news and connect with others. Log into facebook, search for the Victoria Lyme Group, and ask to join. The group is private – others can see who the members are, but only members can post and read posts, invite and approve new members.
NEW ITEMS FOR SHARING AND DISCUSSION - 3:00 pm to 4 pm
1. Our meeting room is now available for our use from 1-2 pm for guest speakers or videos. Suggestions?
2. Awareness event in May - do we want to organize another awareness event at the BC Legislature this year? Or sponsor a public talk? – when, where, and who would like to assist?
3. Janet Sperling has sent us some tick collection vials, complete with prepaid envelopes to mail them. She is doing research on ticks in Canada and would be happy to receive ticks that you find on your dog, in the environment, or crawling on you (ticks cannot be feeding or engorged though). You will receive a list of the bacteria your tick is carrying, although it may take awhile as she does them in batches.
4. December Social - thank you to everyone who brought delicious food to share and to Rebecca for hosting our first social gathering!
5. Elizabeth May's Bill C-442 is coming up for reading soon.
NEXT MEETING: Sunday, February 23rd, 2014
INFORMATION – Recent studies, news, articles, upcoming events and useful websites
1. New Lyme and Borrelia Miyamotoi Disease DNA Test: dnalymetest.com.html
2. Avaaz Lyme Disease Petition to Rona Ambrose, MP: https://secure.avaaz.org/en/
petition/The_Honourable_Rona_ Ambrose_PC_MP_Health_Canada_ Minister_of_Health_Devise_a_ strategy_to_timely_and_ comprehensively_diagn/? avlOCdb&mobile=1
3. Call for "Manhattan Project" to Combat Lyme Epidemic: http://www.plospathogens.org/
4. Angeli VanLaanen overcomes Lyme Disease to make Olympic Team: http://olympictalk.nbcsports.
com/2014/01/18/angeli- vanlaanen-olympics-lyme- disease-ski-halfpipe/
5. Hard Science on Lyme: Do we really want another OspA Vaccine? http://lymedisease.org/news/
hardscienceonlyme/do-we- really-want-another-ospa- vaccine.html
6. Upcoming ILADS conferences and courses: http://www.ilads.org/lyme_
Keep up with the latest Lyme news: