MEETING TIME: We won't have a guest speaker this month. Instead, our regular meeting will an extended one, from 1 pm until 4 pm, which will give us more time for sharing with new members and for consultation.
LOCATION: Email firstname.lastname@example.org for directions and parking.
MEETING INFORMATION: Meetings are held on the fourth Sunday of each month. Coffee and tea are provided free of charge. Snacks to share are always appreciated.
AGENDA: Please let us know if there is anything you would like us to add to the agenda (news, discussion topic, etc) by emailing us at email@example.com
1:00 pm to 2:30 pm - INTRODUCTIONS & SUPPORT FOR NEW MEMBERS
Welcome message to new members. This part of our meetings is for members to introduce themselves, to share their concerns and ask questions. After a 15 minute break, we continue with updates, new discussion items, and informal discussion (information sharing, support, questions, ideas for upcoming meetings etc).
2:45 pm to 4:00 pm - UPDATES and NEW ITEMS -
New Items for Discussion
1. Committee report on "Let's Talk About Lyme" event
2. Feedback and suggestions re "Let's Talk About Lyme" event
3. Summertime awareness opportunities
4. Changes at the Complex Chronic Diseases Program
Lyme Support Library
Our group purchases and loans out books and DVDs on Lyme and co-infections. Cost to join our library is $10. Items can be borrowed for one month. Please be courteous and return borrowed books on time. Book donations are always appreciated. Please let us know if there are any books/DVDs that you would like us to order. Currently, we have the following:
1. Cure Unknown: Inside the Lyme Epidemic (Revised Edition, 2013), by Pamela Weintraub
2. Healing Lyme Disease Coinfections – Bartonella & Mycoplasma, by Stephen Buhner
3. Checklists for Bartonella, Babesia & Lyme Disease, by Dr. James Schaller
4. Beyond Lyme Disease, by Connie Strasheim
5. Ending Denial: The Lyme Epidemic, by Helke Ferrie
6. Healing Lyme, by Stephen Buhner
7. It’s All in Your Head – Around the World in 80 Lyme Patient Stories, by PJ Langhoff
8. Living a Healthy Life with Chronic Conditions (multiple authors)
9. The Top 10 Lyme Disease Treatments, by Bryan Rosner
10.Treatment of Chronic Lyme Disease, by Burton A. Waisbren
11.Under Our Skin (DVD)
12.Treating Lyme Disease Using Integrative Medicine (5 DVDs)
13. ILADS Review of Anti-Infective Therapy (pamphlet)
14. NEW!! Why Can’t I Get Better? Solving the Mystery of Lyme and Chronic Disease by Dr. Horowitz
15. NEW!! Ticked Off: The Mystery of Lyme Disease (DVD)
We have a few extra t-shirts for sale. Price is $10.
Our Facebook group for people with Lyme disease on Vancouver Island is a great way to keep up to date on news and connect with others. Log into Facebook, search for the Victoria Lyme Group, and ask to join. The group is private – others can see who the members are, but only members can post and read posts, invite and approve new members.
Tick SurveyDr Ernie Murakami asks that anyone who has removed a tick from a human send them to him. He wants them whether dead or alive along with a brief note on how the tick was removed, i.e. twisted out, tweezers with constant tension or by tension/relax method. These ticks will be checked by microscopy for missing mouth parts and research. Send your ticks, from anywhere at all, to him at:
Box 1240, Hope BC V0X 1L0
Tick Collection for Researcher Janet Sperling
Janet Sperling has sent us some tick collection vials, complete with prepaid envelopes to mail your ticks. She is doing research on ticks in Canada and would be happy to receive ticks that you find on your dog, in the environment, or crawling on you (ticks cannot be feeding or engorged though). You will receive a list of the bacteria your tick is carrying, although it may take awhile as she does them in batches.
NEXT MEETING: Sunday, June 22nd, 2014
Keep up with the latest Lyme news: