Meetings are held on the fourth Sunday of each month at the Yakimovich Wellness Centre, in the Hillside Seniors’ Health Centre, 1454 Hillside Avenue, Victoria. There is pay parking around the back of the building. Coffee and tea are provided free of charge. Snacksto share are always appreciated. We ask that you not wear any fragrances for those who are sensitive.
Please let us know if there is anything you would like us to add to the agenda (news, discussion topic, etc) by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org
PRESENTATION: 1 - 2 p.m.
This month we will be showing "EMERGENCE", the new sequel to the Lyme documentary, "Under Our Skin". Please do you best to arrive on time so we can start at 1 p.m. This showing is intended for our members since we only have space for 50 people - if your spouse is accompanying you to the support meeting, they are also welcome. We will have a public viewing later to which you can invite your friends, colleagues, and other family members.
INTRODUCTIONS & SUPPORT FOR MEMBERS: 2:15 - 3:15 pm
Welcome message to new members. This part of our meetings is for members to introduce themselves, to share their concerns and ask questions.
NEW ITEMS and UPDATES: 3:30 - 4 pm
1.Submissions to the Finance Committee.
2. FOI request
3. Bill C-442
4. Awareness activities - Qualicum Farmers' Market, Cabelas in Nanaimo, and Thrifty Foods.
5. CanLyme offering limited number of grants to physicians to attend ILADS training. October 9-12 in Washington, DC, or February 6-7, 2015 in Banff. (contact JimWilson@telus.net)
7. Discount for printing and office supplies for our group at Staples.
1. "Let's Talk About Lyme" T-shirts. We have a new supply of t-shirts for sale. $10 each.
2. Group Library. Our group purchases and loans out books and DVDs on Lyme and co-infections. Cost to join our library is $10. Items can be borrowed for one month. Please be courteous and return borrowed books on time. Book donations are always appreciated. Please let us know if there are any books/DVDs that you would like us to order.
3. Facebook Group.Our Facebook group for people with Lyme disease on Vancouver Island is a great way to keep up to date on news and connect with others. Log into Facebook, search for the Vancouver Island Lyme Group, and ask to join. The group is private – others can see who the members are, but only members can post and read posts, invite, and approve new members.
4. Tick Test Kits from Janet Sperling. Due to the new costs involved in tick identification ($30) and testing for ticks ($35) fromveterinarians, Janet Sperling has sent us some more tick collection vials, complete with prepaid envelopes to mail live ticks. She is doing research on ticks in Canada and would be happy to receive live ticks that you find on your dog, in the environment, or crawling on you (ticks cannot be feeding on you - those must go to the BC CDC). Please pick up a few kits for your veterinarian.
5. Group Financial Report
INFORMAL MEETING: Sunday, October 12, 2014, at "Bubbies Kitchen", 355 Cook Street, Victoria